Heroes (Advertisers)
Purchase the best NY Yankees Game Tickets from Ticket Brokers Vivid Seats which include NY Giants Tickets, New York Mets Tickets, Knicks NBA Tickets, Rangers Hockey Tickets, Islanders Tickets, Jersey Boys Tickets, , Madison Square Garden Event Tickets New Jersey NBA Nets Tickets and Devils NHL Games .

Find New York Yankees tickets and other hot MLB tickets at CTC! We carry Cardinals baseball tickets, Red Sox tickets in Boston, Detroit Tigers tickets, Dodgers tickets and World Series tickets as well as New York Giants tickets and hot show tickets, including Coldplay concert tickets, Conan O'Brien tickets, NY theater tickets and Broadway show tickets.


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

View blog authority
eXTReMe Tracker
I'm Not So Upset Anymore
Monday, September 22, 2008
BTW...
a) This is the first time I've been able to use the Bern Bernie Bern tag in 9 months
b) It is also the first time I've used Jorgie Porgie's tag since his injury

So! Y'all know that I've been more than just a tad disappointed about the FAIL way the team played in the middle of the season and truly think that they HAD the potential to make it to the post-season and simply squandered away their chances by playing sloppily and without passion. I do understand that a team can't make the playoffs every year and blah blah blah, but when a team is packed with talent it's still a disappointment.

Last night, though, I completely forgot about that disappointment. In a word, last night was magical. I know that sounds a bit cheesy, but I implore you to deny that it was just that. I could not have imagined a better send-off for the stadium - it was incredibly well done. The turnout of Yankee legends made the night so special, especially to see them all on the field. The highlight for me was the tribute and special attention given to Bernie, since nothing like that was done after his final game back in '06. I kind of thought they might take the opportunity to retire his number, but perhaps they'll do that once he finally "officially" retires.

Other fave moments:
  • Boomer! God I love that man. He seems like such good times, even though I fear that if I were to hang out with him (how 'bout it, Boom Dawg?) I would wind up in a jail cell in Tijuana (even if we were partying at a bar in NYC. Somehow, we would end up there.)
  • I'm so glad Jorgie was there. It was awesome to see him back in the dugout and chit-chatting with the Jeet et al.
  • Having Babe's daughter throw out the first pitch was the most perfect choice they could have made.
  • Even though he can be annoying, I appreciate them giving Michael Kay the mic for all the pre-game announcing. He's the TV voice/face of the Yanks and deserved the honor.
  • Mariano's 1-2-3 9th was the perfect way to end the game and cap off 85 years of Yankee Stadium. He's the best closer in the history of the game and to have anyone else throw out the final pitch would have been a shame.
  • Obviously, the fact that they won was ideal. Woulda been a bust if they went out on a loss.
  • Jeet's fan-appreciation speech after the game was classic and heartwarming. Things wouldn't be the same without all the hardcore fans, and it was nice to see the crew tipping their hats in thanks.
I am not one of those folks that think moving to a new stadium is some horrible act of sacrilege that will ruin tradition - I'm looking forward to it and think sparkly new digs suit the grand aura of the Yanks. Last night was the perfect way to end the era, celebrate the past and get excited for the future.

One last thing: I honestly and truly believe that ANY true baseball fan should have enjoyed or at the very least appreciated the extravaganza last night. I don't care if you're a Red Sox fan, lifelong Yankee hater, engaged in a plural marriage with Manny Ramirez and Pedro Martinez - last night was about history. I've already heard a couple Red Sox fans denouncing it and saying "YOUR TEAM DIDN'T EVEN MAKE THE PLAYOFFS LOLZ" and I find that pathetic. Don't bother calling yourself a baseball fan.

One more last thing: Here's a vid of the final inning I found on the ol' You Tubez. Relive the magic!



Labels: , , ,

posted by Yankees Chick @ Monday, September 22, 2008  
5 Comments:
  • At 12:16 PM, Blogger YankeeFiend23 said…

    I was SO glad to see\hear the ovation that Bernie got. I just wish the dodgers had let Mattingly be there, he would've gotten a major ovation too.

     
  • At 7:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    How would those same Sox fans be acting if they closed Fenway? They'd get everyone from the 2004 team back together and all the old Sox legends they could dig up and they'd do the same thing, and it would probably be a pretty amazing event.
    I watched the entire game on the phone with my father. My father's a Mets fan but he loves the game and he loves this city.
    Anyone who can appreciate the history of the game had to enjoy that.
    And yankeefiend23 is right, Mattingly should have have been there. I understand about Torre and Pinella needing to stay with their teams, but not Donnie Baseball.

     
  • At 11:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Call me crazy but I just couldn't get into it. I liked the pre-game stuff and thought it was great that Bernie Williams got that ovation because he absolutely deserved it. But this whole season was just so sickening and gutless that I couldn't sit back and enjoy the game. Last year in Yankee Stadium and these jerks can't get even get to the playoffs. Disgraceful. Worse, NONE of them care.

     
  • At 10:46 AM, Blogger Broken Arrow said…

    I think that the Yankees missed a great opportunity.

    Why not retire Bernie's number in the outfield that he patrolled for so many year? Is it as meaningful to retire his number in a stadium that he's never played in?


    (If I were a betting guy... I think that he's going to try to make the WBC in the spring. That's the only reason that I can think of why he wouldn't retire with Major League Baseball.)

     
  • At 10:47 AM, Blogger Broken Arrow said…

    (Three Chris' in a row, hehe. We're taking over the world! =)

    Chris

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Yankees Chick Tweets!
Fun Fact O' The Week

In 2009 Curtis Granderson published a book: All You Can Be: Dream It, Draw It, Become It! Granderson "shares the lessons that he learned growing up--the importance of family and choosing the right friends, the power of listening and staying positive, and most important, the value of being yourself."
Interleague Play: Love it or Leave it?
Hate it
Love it
Indifferent
Interwho?
  
Free polls from Pollhost.com
Previous Poll Results
Which Former Yank Free Agent Would You Most Like to See in Pinstripes in 2010?
Johnny Damon 53%
Chien-Ming Wang 26%
Xavier Nady 8%
Jose Molina 6%
Jason Giambi 6%
Jeff Weaver 2%
Catch up! Recent Posts
What'd You Miss? Archives
About Me

Name: Yankees Chick
Home: San Diego, CA, United States
About Me: Just your average 26 year old Yankees lovin' gal from the SD.
See my complete profile
Blog Faves
Subscribe
 Add to RSS

Add to Google
Subscribe in Bloglines
Search!
Google